This Memorial Day I plan to celebrate the memory of those who have given so much for our country by spending time with friends and family and enjoying a delicious meal together. And while I will be sure to grill up some of my favorites, I will also be making these Healthyish lemon cakes with strawberry compote baked inside.
With strawberry season in full effect these mini cakes are the perfect seasonal dessert. The sweet strawberry compote baked in with the moist and tangy lemon cake is the perfect combination. So as you begin planning your Memorial Day menu, be sure to add these tasty treats to the list.
What you’ll need: Serves 2
2 pouches tangy lemon cake mix
2 tablespoons lightly melted butter
4 tablespoons of 2% milk
6 ripe medium sized strawberries
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 small ripe lemon ( juice only)
2 paper baking cups
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Clean and chop your strawberries into medium sized pieces. be sure to remove the stem.
- Grab a small sauce pan and add in the chopped strawberries, 1 tablespoon sugar and the juice from 1/2 of a small ripe lemon. Stir well over medium heat or until the strawberries begin to form a compote or sauce.
- Once the sauce is ready, remove the pan from the heat and set the compote aside.
- Next, in a separate bowl you will combine 2 tablespoons of lightly melted butter, 2 pouches of Healthyish lemon cake mix, and 4 tablespoons of 2% milk. Whisk the cake batter together and set aside.
- Grab 2 paper baking cups from your Healthyish baking kit and lightly spray them with cooking spray. Evenly distribute the strawberry compote into the 2 paper baking cups.
- Next, you will evenly distribute the lemon cake batter into the paper baking cups and onto of the strawberry compote.
- Bake for 12 – 13 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Once they are fully baked and cooled, you will flip the paper baking cups over and allow the cake to drop from of the cup. The strawberry compote will be on the top of the cake and it will make for a great presentation.
- Garnish with fresh sliced strawberries and whipped cream.
Serve and Enjoy!
Author: Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh
Welcome to the Healthyish Foods Blog. We’re glad you’re here! The purpose of this blog is to provide you with tips and reccomendations on how to live a Healthyish life! We will also provide you with recipes and ideas on ways that you can use your DIY organic baking kits at home.